Wednesday, August 26, 2015

French Baguettes



           Seems like with kids its hard to do anything during the day. Can you imagine trying to bake or even cook when an infant wants her bottle and the older one needs help with homework, so when the house is quite and everyone is asleep thats usually my time to bake.

The inspiration for this recipe came to me last night while I was watching a travel food blog, the star of the show just happened to be in Paris and was about to enjoy a nice hot fresh Baguette. Then it hit me 930pm at night while everyone slept...its was baking time!!!! I think my husband might think I'm crazy at times when I get out of bed to cook or bake at that times.

I love cooking and baking, its soothes me.....calms a busy day and completely relaxes me. The kitchen is one of my favorite places to be and I think that come from my parents, ever since I was a kid I was always in the kitchen. If it was chopping carrots for my mom or even helping my dad, I was there. I still learn so much from them, even now I call them up when I have a question on how to make certain dishes that they have long time mastered.



INGREDIENTS

2 Cups Bread Flour
2  1/4 Tsp Yeast
1 Cup Warm Water - Enough for a very sticky dough, I had to add about 3 tablespoons extra
2 Tsp Sugar
1 Tsp Salt
2 Tablespoons Coarse Semolina - To sprinkle on baking tray to avoid sticking

Cast Iron Pan or Oven Safe Baking Dish
Ice Bath Water

METHOD



  • Combine Yeast, Salt, Sugar and Water. Let Yeast activate, should take about 3 mins, I used a Rapid Yeast. 


  • Once activated using a spoon stir in 2 cups of Bread Flour one cup at a time, you want a very sticky dough, like below

  • In another bowl, grease generously. I used Pam. Once dough is combined transfer into greased bowl and using brush cover top of dough with some Pam from the sides. 
         

  • Cover & let proof in a warm spot until dough is doubled, my oven has a proofing setting so it only took 30mins. 
  • Once proofed turn out onto a well floured surface and divide dough, It should make 2  12"-14" long loaves. I cut mines into 4 since my cookie sheet is shorter.

  • Flatten each piece to a rectangle and start to roll it onto itself 




  





  • Once all is rolled out, sprinkle Semolina on sheet and lay rolls on it. Using a sharp knife or kitchen scissors make slashes on tops of loaves and sprinkle a tiny bit of flour, maybe a few pinches.


 



  • Cover and let proof once more for about 30mins. At this time turn on oven to 500 Degrees, It should take a while for oven to get up to 500 Degrees. On the bottom rack of oven place cast iron pan or oven safe dish to heat up also. Also place remaining rack 2nd from the top slot in oven.
  • Once 30mins has passed and oven is hot, carefully open and add Ice Bath Water into Cast Iron Pan or Oven Safe Baking Dish. It will sizzle & steam up a bit so take your time pouring.




  •  Insert tray with loaves on top rack and bake for 17-20 mins or until golden brown on top and crusty. 
  • I let loaves cool on a wire rack on my counter before I cut and served. 

Serve & Enjoy!!!!!! 



                                       









No comments:

Post a Comment